As we were walking around in a park in the city of Patna, Bihar, in India, I saw this beautiful billboard promoting breastfeeding. I took plenty of pictures, so to be able to translate its contents and to know its source.
It was made by the Women Development Corporation. They are involved in promoting women and girls empowerment, in the social, economical and cultural spheres. They do it by informing, monetary funding. As an example, they rise awareness about female foeticide, children marriages, domestic violence, dowry.
Here is their website : http://www.wdcbihar.org.in/
Here’s the translation of the billboard:
From the first hour post delivery to the six month of the baby, only breastmilk
After birth, no liquids should be fed to the baby, this includes water, honey and ghutti (mixture of water, honey and ayurvedic powder supposed to enhance baby’s growth..
Don’t give formula, the baby may fall sick.
Benefits of exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months :
- Mother milk is the most natural, secure and it is a very healthy food for the baby. Contrary to the infants who are fed formula, breastfed babies are stronger and have a better immune system.
- Mother milk is easy to digest, it is pure and clean, there are no bacteries in it.
- Breastfeeding provides warmth to a child and participates to the bonding between mother and child.
- Thanks to breastfeeding, the jaw and the teeth of the infant develop faster.
- When breastfeeding, the mother is at peace and she loses less blood during periods.
- Breastfeeding protects the mother from breast cancer and it is also a contraceptive method.